Name: Ong Chin Hwee
Email: [email protected]
DT ONE (formerly known as TRANSFERTO) (Jan 2021 - Present)
Data Engineer, Digital Value Services (DVS)
- Design, build and maintain DVS Data Platform and data applications on AWS to ensure high availability of reliable data for business decision-making
- Built and deployed scalable data pipelines and machine learning applications to production systems using Apache Spark, Scala and SQL
- Implemented a fully-integrated Quality of Service (QoS) Dashboard that provides near-realtime monitoring of QoS metrics with Amazon Kinesis Firehose, Amazon Redshift and Redash, providing actionable insights to improve service quality of providers in DT One’s global network
- Initiated refactoring of daily data ingestion pipelines from application databases to AWS data warehouse, enhancing observability and maintainability of mission-critical data pipelines by 100% using AWS Step Functions
- Optimized implementation and maintainability of deployed AWS cloud infrastructure through Infrastructure-as-Code using Terraform
ST ENGINEERING (Oct 2018 – Jan 2021)
Data Engineer, Data Analytics Strategic Technology Centre
- Data Engineer #1
- Constructed data pipelines and algorithms for data analytics solutions in engineering and procurement analytics systems using data mining and machine learning techniques
- Collaborated with Data Architect and Data Engineering team to gather data analytics requirements from key business stakeholders, develop proof-of-concept data models, and design strategies for model deployment in production environments
- Optimized interactive procurement analytics report generation time by 100% through multidimensional data processing and analytics pipelines involving Python, Pandas data manipulation library and Plotly visualization library
- Simulated improvement and modularization of data processing pipelines for architectural design and development of aircraft engine predictive analytics prototype using SQLAlchemy, Flask and Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server 2019 Virtual Machine instance
- Developed classification model with 30% improvement in recall performance, enabling better identification of human factors instances for an intrusion detection system using Scikit-learn machine learning library
- Led discussions with data scientists on user requirements, contributed to the logical design of Hadoop-based data lake for on-premise development cloud platform, and ensured service availability of on-premise cloud platform with OpenStack Dashboard and Bash scripting on Ubuntu/CentOS 7 environments
- Performed migration of version control system from self-hosted GitLab to Team Foundation Server across older and newer on-premise cloud platforms
- Spearheaded initiatives in maintaining up-to-date technical documentation for on-premise cloud platform and establishing data governance guidelines
[email protected] Corporate Laboratory (Sept 2014 – Aug 2016)
Research Assistant / Technologist, Manufacturing Technologies
- Crafted and executed proof-of-concept experiments to develop capabilities for finishing of complex internal features in additive-manufactured components
- Co-authored review paper on benchmarking of finishing processes for internal surfaces and passages which was subsequently published in a research journal
“Is Rainfall Getting Heavier? Building a Weather Forecasting Pipeline with Singapore Weather Station Data” FOSDEM 2021 Python Devroom, 21 February 2021.
“Speed Up Your Data Processing: Parallel and Asynchronous Programming in Data Science” PyData Global 2020, 15 November 2020.
“Speed Up Your Data Processing: Parallel and Asynchronous Programming in Python.” PyCon Taiwan 2020, 6 September 2020.
“Speed Up Your Data Processing.” EuroPython 2020. 23 July 2020.
“Just-in-Time With Numba.” Remote Python Pizza. 25 April 2020.
“Speed Up Your Data Processing: Parallel and Asynchronous Programming in Python.”
FOSSASIA Summit 2020. 20 March 2020.
“Interview with Ong Chin Hwee.” Pandanistas, 7 March 2020.
“Making Open Data More Accessible: Extracting Seasonal Insights from Singapore Open Weather Data.” Open UP Global Summit. 1 December 2019.
“How to Make Your Data Processing Faster – Parallel Processing and JIT in Data Science.” Women Who Code Connect Asia. 31 August 2019.
“Non-traditional finishing processes for internal surfaces and passages: A review.” K.L., Tan, S.H., Yeo, and C.H., Ong. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 27 January 2016. doi: 10.1177/0954405415626087.
Quantic School of Business and Technology (2019)
Master of Business Administration (Pass with Honors)
National University of Singapore (2017 – 2018)
M.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering) with Specialization in Computation and Modelling
NUS Enterprise Summer Programme 2018
Specialization Project – Numerical Simulation on Noise Reduction Using Bio-Inspired Propeller Designs
- In collaboration with Temasek Laboratories @ NUS (T-Lab @ NUS)
Nanyang Technological University (2010 – 2014)
B.Eng. (Hons.) (Aerospace Engineering) with Minor in Business
College Scholarship, College of Engineering
Leadership Development Programme, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Global Immersion Programme (GIP) Study at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Honours Thesis – Solar UAV: Propulsion System – Selection of Motor and Propeller for MALE UAV
- In collaboration with DSO Laboratories and Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IIT Kanpur)
- Curriculum Mentor with BigDataX (Jan 2019 – present)
- Analytics and Research Contributor with CoronaTracker (Feb 2020 – present)
- Mentor for “Beginners Data Workshop for Minorities” at PyCon 2020 (May 2020)
- Member of Young Women’s Leadership Connection (Aug 2019 – present)
- Regular performer with Raffles Alumni Chinese Orchestra (Jun 2010 – present)
- Good communication skills: Collaborated with professors, industrial researchers, managers, vendors and visitors as a technical researcher in industrial R&D environments. Delivered technical talks at community events and regional developer conferences. Open source contribution to API documentation/enhancements for Pandas.
- Teamwork skills: Teamed up with researchers in innovation teams.
- Intercultural skills: Experience in studying at a foreign university and working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Organisational / Managerial Skills
- Successfully enabled research project teams into completion of project milestones on time.
- Guided successful engagements with key business stakeholders on requirements gathering and hands-on solutions development.
- Spearheaded on-site management of technical issues faced by participants during technical workshops as a Mentor with BigDataX.
- Experience in mathematical modelling, data processing, machine learning, scripting and workflow automation using MATLAB, C/C++, Python, SQL and Scala.
- Experience in parallel implementation of numerical codes using multiprocessing and OpenMPI modules.
- Familiarity with cloud computing (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, OpenStack), Docker, Kubernetes, Apache Airflow, Terraform, Linux, Bash scripting, Git (GitHub, GitLab, Team Foundation Server).
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese.
- Basic proficiency in French.
- Plays the piano, erhu and zhonghu (a type of alto erhu).
- Enjoys travelling, photography and strategy games.